Q.  What is the annual license cost for the year 2020?

0-3 bedrooms - $325.00 4-plus bedrooms - $575.00 per year

Q.  What is the “short term rental parking requirement”?

It is the expectation that tenants park on site in the driveway.  If a property only has room for one vehicle (for example) the property owner needs to disclose that to tenants so that they plan accordingly.

Q.  Will the software and online application process allow for owners to attach the necessary additional documentation if they have it in a scanned or digital format?  Or will they need to mail it in or drop it off at the Town Clerk’s office? 

Yes, the online application will have the capacity to submit scans, photos, pdfs of required documents.  That is the preferred method.

Q.  I understand that I need to provide a floor plan of my rental home.  Can I hand draw them?

Correct, floor plans can be hand drawn provided they are done neatly and provide relevant information such as labeled rooms, fire extinguisher and smoke detector locations, etc.

Q.  What if I do not have a copy of my septic design?

There are three potential sources of septic system designs:  Personal records, Town records, or state database that has systems that were permitted electronically archived beginning in 1975.  If owners are unable to obtain records from one of those three a general inspection done by a third party that documents tank size and general field condition (no visual evidence of outbreaks) will be acceptable provided that the bedroom count in town records is consistent with the rental application.

Q.  When does the Ordinance go into effect?

The ordinance goes into effect after the vote, but a license will not be required until  January 1, 2022.  The Town will notify property owners that the online application will be available in November 2021 (an exact date to be determined).

Q.  If I have a long-term renter in my home, do I need this license?

No, this license requirement is for those legal residential dwellings that are rented out to renters who stay for 30 days or less.

Q. I have heard that Goose Rocks is exempt from this ordinance. Is that true?

No, all dwelling units that are rented out on a short-term basis will be required to be licensed.  The Board of Selectmen will be setting a limit on the number of licenses that will be issued in town effective January 1, 2023.  Licensed Short Term Rentals located in the Goose Rocks Beach Neighborhood Map are not counted towards the overall number of licenses that will be limited.

Q. What happens if I sell my property?  Does the license go away?

The license is good for the calendar year in which it was issued.  If a property sells mid-year the license remains valid for the duration of that calendar year.  The new owner would then be required to apply for a new license for the next year if they wish to be considered.  As a new license it may be subject to any licensing limits that may be in effect.

Q. How will the Town handle complaints?

Complaints will be directed to a 24/7 toll-free number who will contact the offending property representative to pursue compliance.  Repeat offenders will be pursued by the Town directly that may result in fines, and suspension or revocation of a license.